Shipboard Hoeopathic Medicine Chest, Circa 1850.
Otis Clapp made and marketed his own medicines, organizing New England’s first homeopathic pharmacy in 1840. “About this time  Dr. Luther Clark visited Philadelphia, and becoming acquainted with Dr. Hering and a few other physicians, arranged with them to send Mr. Clapp some books and medicines. Soon after Mr. Clapp purchased a fifty dollar case of tinctures and triturations, and from this ‘infinitesmal’ beginning arose his present pharmacy. He began to make his own dilutions, to medicate and put up cases, and his room became, and has continued to be, a kind of Exchange for the whole profession in New England.” – https://collections.countway.harvard.edu/onview/exhibits/show/grand-delusion/homeopathy-in-the-united-state/otis-clapp. The case is made of mahogany, and measures 8 1/4 x 8 3/4 x 4 3/4 inches. It contains 23 bottles whose labels have been cut from the attached sheet.