Part of the Correspondence in Relation to the Wreck of the Scotland.
Blunt, G.W. and Others.
( 1868), New York
23.5 cm. 13 pp.
An important document in the maritime history of New York. According to a CUNY web page, the British steamship “Scotland” rammed and sank a sailing schooner called the “Kate Dyer” on December 1, 1866, about 10 miles southwest of the Fire Island Lighthouse. The schooner sank quickly, with 13 of her 29 crew members. The remainder were rescued by the heavily damaged “Scotland.” The skipper attempted to get to Sandy Hook, New Jersey perhaps 100 miles away, but the damage was too severe, and her captain Thomas A. Scott ran the ship aground about 2 1/2 miles East of the Sandy Hook Light house. Two years later in 1868, they placed a lightship (LV20) ship there which became a marker for the entrance to NY harbor. This pamphlet was assembled by George W. Blunt, famed chartmaker who, at that time, was serving as New York Harbor Commissioner. Apparently, Great Britain didn’t want to take responsibility for the hulk, and “Scotland” languished on the bar as a hazard to shipping. Blunt writes, “Senator Morgan has succeeded in getting an appropriation of $100,000 for the purpose of removing the wreck. It is hoped that our government may be allowed to use it for that purpose.” Bound in printed wrappers, saddle stitched, with the small circular blindstamp of the Essex Institute on the front cover. Rare. No holdings on Worldcat. Not in Toy or Sabin.